This black bean burger is a great meat alternative for any lunch or dinner. Feel free to add extra protein by frying an egg on top or integrating more protein-rich food sources into your meal (e.g., chicken breast).Skill Level: Beginner. Serving Size: 5-6 oz. per patty.
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic and sweet potato to pan. Stir and add cumin, sea salt, and pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Saute until onions start to soften. Add mushrooms and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is tender. (About 5-10 more minutes.) Remove vegetables from heat and allow to cool.
- Pulse vegetable mix in food processor. Stop when the mixture is diced small and uniform in size, but STOP before it becomes a puree. Transfer to mixing bowl and fold in beans. Add back to food processor in small batches and pulse until just combined.
- Add additional oats if mixture is too wet. Add 1 egg (and stir) if mixture is too dry or is having trouble sticking together.
- Shape into 5-6 oz patties and bake for 10 minutes. Serve warm or pack into freezer bags and flat freeze.
Nutrition Information: Dairy free, nut free.
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 500 mg