Skill Level: Beginner Serving Size: 10 oz.
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes, halved
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, separated
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups bone broth, or broth/water of your choosing
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes on parchment paper. Coat tomatoes in 2 tbs olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, put a large stock pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add diced red onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent (about 2-5 minutes). Add thyme, salt and pepper, stir.
- Add roasted tomatoes and tomato paste then stir.
- Using an immersion blender or a tabletop blender, puree the tomato mixture until smooth. (If you use a standard blender, you will have to work in batches.)
- Add the tomato mixture back into the stock pot. Add stock and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top with your choice of accents; enjoy as a first course, side, or light meal.
Nutrition Information: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a micronutrient that supports eye health. Gluten-free, dairy free, nut free.
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 10 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 590 mg