Skill Level: Beginner Serving Size: composed salad ( ¾ to 1 cup millet salad, ¾ cup roasted vegetables, 5 oz. cooked salmon, 1 T. pecans, 1 T. goat cheese )
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 cup Millet, cooked (substitute with any whole grain of choice)
- 1 cup Butternut squash, raw, medium dice
- 1 each Golden beet, peeled, medium dice
- 1 each Carrots, large, peeled, medium dice
- 1 each Sweet, medium, peeled, medium dice
- 1 small Red onion, peeled, medium dice or chopped
- 1 T. Olive oil
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 6 cups Arugula, fresh
- optional Cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, diced (~1 cup total)
- 3 T. Lemon Herb Vinaigrette, see recipe, separated
- 4 filets Salmon, 5oz.
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- pinch Black pepper
- ¼ cup Pecans, toasted
- ¼ cup Goat cheese
- Cook millet or whole grain of choice and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop vegetables (butternut, beet, sweet potato, carrot and onion) and place in mixing bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper if desired.
- Place vegetables on baking sheet and roast in oven for 25-35 minutes or until done. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- While vegetables are roasting, place salmon filets on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake salmon at 400 degrees for 10-20 minutes depending on thickness of the fish. Feel free to prepare salmon in whatever way you desire (e.g., pan-seared then finished in oven). Set aside. Toast pecans on stove top in a dry pan, over low heat, for 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on this so it doesn’t burn.
- In a mixing bowl, combine millet with arugula and 2 T. of the Lemon Herb Vinaigrette. Add cherry tomatoes and cucumbers if you wish.
- Use any dressing of choice if you don’t have the Lemon Herb prepared. Mix until everything is well-combined. Remove vegetables from oven. Set aside. Evenly distribute equal amounts of the millet salad into a bowl or plate.
- Top the millet salad with equal amounts of roasted vegetables—¾ cup.
- Finish salad with cooked salmon, 1 T. toasted and diced pecans and 1 T. of fresh goat cheese.
- Garnish salmon with drizzle of remaining Lemon Herb Vinaigrette.
Nutrition Information: This meal is loaded with antioxidants including vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. In addition, salmon provides essential omega-3 fatty acids that support the anti-inflammatory process. Gluten-free.
- Calories: 510
- Fat: 26 gms
- Protein: 36 gms
- Carbohydrates: 35 gms
- Fiber: 5 gms
- Added Sugar: 0 gms
- Sodium: 550 mgs